Finding the text of treaties, plus information about status and parties.
Last Updated: Mar 28, 2016
This guide covers the most commonly-used sources for:
The following web sites and books offer great advice on treaty research.
- Guide to Treaty Research - Columbia Law Library
Explanations, advice, and links. (By Simon Canick & Silke Sahl.)
- "Treaties" section of "Researching Public International Law" - ASIL
A good, brief introduction to treaty research. Part of ASIL's "Electronic Resource Guide."
- Treaty Research - Georgetown Law Library
Links and advice. This guide begins with a "Treaty Quick Finder" organized by party, organization, and topic.
- Researching Treaties Tutorial
From Georgetown Law Library.
- An Introduction to Sources for Treaty Research
Research advice, terminology, and links. (By Mark Engsberg & Mary Beth Chappell; last updated in 2016).
- Researching U.S. Treaties and Agreements
Solid information from a leading expert in international law research. (By Marci Hoffman; last updated in 2001).
- Treaties & International Agreements
Chapter 4 of International Legal Research in a Nutshell (2008), by Marci B. Hoffman & Robert C. Berring. In print, at KZ 1234 .H64 2008 Law Open Reserve.
- International Law
Chapter 9 of Legal Research in a Nutshell, 11th ed. (2013), by the late Morris L. Cohen & Kent C. Olson. In print, at KF 240 .C54 2013 Law Open Reserve.