Finding professional responsibility rules (ABA and California) and ethics opinions, as well as practice guides, books and articles on legal ethics and professional responsibility
Last Updated: Apr 16, 2015
These sources give overviews of the law of professional responsibility and cite to primary materials, such as major statutes, rules, and cases.
- The Law of Lawyering, 4th ed. - by Geoffrey C. Hazard, W. William Hodes & Peter R. Jarvis
This is the print version. Zief Library location: KF 306 .H333 Law Stacks.
- ABA/BNA Lawyers' Manual on Professional Conduct - Bloomberg BNA
See the "Practice Guides" section in this online version.
- Legal Ethics-The Lawyer's Deskbook on Professional Responsibility - by Ronald D. Rotunda
"Provides commentary on the ABA's Model Rules of Professional Conduct, as well as references to current case law and the Restatement of the Law 3d - The Law Governing Lawyers."
Westlaw version. Also available in print (Zief Library location: KF 306 .R68).
- Modern Legal Ethics, student edition - by Charles W. Wolfram
This is the print version. Zief Library location: KF 306 .W59 1986b Law Open Reserve
- Modern Legal Ethics, practitioner edition - by Charles W. Wolfram
This is the print version. Zief Library location: KF 306 .W59 1986 Law Open Reserve.
- Criminal Defense Ethics: Law & Liability - Westlaw
"This single-volume resource reviews the underlying ground rules and the range of resolutions applicable to particular ethical and legal dilemmas. Coverage includes forfeiture of legal fees, abuse of the subpoena process, liability in malpractice suits, and conflicts of interest. Discusses disqualification motions, ineffective assistance of counsel, and trial publicity and other public statements."
- California Practice Guide: Professional Responsibility - by Paul W. Vapnek
Westlaw version. Also available in print (Zief Library location: KFC 76.5 .A2 V376 Law Stacks).
- California Procedure, 5th ed. - by B.E. Witkin
Westlaw version. Browse to Volume 1, "Attorneys."
Available on Lexis as the source Witkin California Procedure
. Also available in print (Zief Library locations KFC 995. W52 2008 Law Stacks & Law Reserve).
Browse or search these sources to get an idea of the most controversial or widely-discussed legal ethics issues.
The State Bar of California has Rules of Professional Conduct and related rules, statutes and other materials on its web site.
Annotated Rules of Professional Conduct are included in West's and Deering's annotated California codes in print and online.
Here are some sources for the ABA Model Rules (with comments), as well as some additional materials with helpful information on the Model Rules.